The 2018 Australian Superbike Championship (ASBK) is set to explode with record 50 entries for Round 1, held alongside the Australian WorldSBK Round at Phillip Island, next weekend, February 22-25.
A star-studded field will take to the track at Phillip Island with the calibre of talent running deeper than we have seen in a very long time. On the grid will be three-time WorldSBK champion Troy Bayliss (Desomosport Ducati, 1299 Panigale) coming out of retirement to try and win his first ASBK title.
He will be up against 2017 ASBK Superbike Champion Josh Waters ( Suzuki GSX-R1000R) trying to win his fourth ASBK Championship, with former champions Wayne Maxwell (Yamaha YZF-R1), Glenn Allerton (NextGen BMW S1000R), Troy Herfoss [Honda CBR1000SP) and Bryan Staring (Kawasaki ZX-10R) all looking to get back on top of the podium.
On the final day of the official pre-season test, Glenn Allerton topped the timesheets on his BMW S1000RR for the NextGen Motorsport Team. The result puts him in a great position heading into Round 1 at Phillip Island.
Fastest Provisional Overall Times:
1. Glenn ALLERTON [BMW S1000RR) 1:32.728
2. Bryan STARING (Kawasaki ZX-10R) 1:32.761
3. Josh WATERS (Suzuki GSX-R1000R) 1:32.838
4. Mike JONES (Kawasaki ZX10R) 1:33.158
5. Wayne MAXWELL (Yamaha YZF-R1M) 1:33.160
6. Daniel FALZON (Yamaha YZF-R1M) 1:33.244
7. Michael BLAIR (Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:33.633
8. Troy HERFOSS [Honda CBR1000SP) 1:33.745
9. Matthew WALTERS (Kawasaki ZX-10R) 1:33.754
10.Troy BAYLISS (Desmosport Ducati 1299 Panigale) 1:33.950